[Beowulf] Cluster OpenMP

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Tue May 16 15:21:13 PDT 2006

From: Douglas Eadline on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:51 PM

<http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=11&message.i
d=3793>

> > Maybe it will be interesting for many people here.
> >
> > In short, recompile your multithreaded OpenMP program and get a
cluster
> > version.
>
> Were it that simple and it all depends. With parallel computing
> and clusters in particular, deciding what *should* be parallel
> for a given hardware environment is difficult. Just because
> something is concurrent does not mean it should be executed in
parallel.

Lest anyone think the whitepaper suggests performance is that simple:

"Obviously, not all applications are suitable for Cluster OpenMP. An
application with fine-grained synchronization is forced to spend a large
percentage of its time fetching data from remote nodes and paying
thousands of times more for memory accesses than it would on an SMP. An
important consideration for a potential user of Cluster OpenMP is
whether the prospective application is suitable for Cluster OpenMP."

The UserGuide.pdf linked on the web page above goes into the details.

--
David N. Lombard

My statements represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation