[Beowulf] split traffic to two interfaces for two "subnets"

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Thu May 11 06:29:42 PDT 2006

Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> I have 25 nodes all on 10.0.0.0/24 network, new file-server (lets call
> it raider) has 2 gigabit ports. I would like to spread the I/O load so
> that
>
> 10.0.0.16/28 goes through eth1
> the rest 10.0.0.0/24 can go through eth0 (as before)

Instead of trying to put certain nodes on eth0 and certain nodes on
eth1, have you considered bonding eth0 and eth1 together and letting
traffic be spread across them like that?  It should automatically
balance traffic for you.  Plus, if an ethernet port or cable does on the
storage server when the ports are bonded, all your nodes can still get
to NFS.