[Beowulf] Bonding Ethernet cards / [was] 512 nodes Myrinet cluster Challenges

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 11 05:13:04 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 09:11:43AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> This is a very common configuration for our clusters.
> Most motherboards these days come with dual on-board gigabit.
> One is used for general cluster traffic and NFS.

This is also useful for vanilla systems. I use dual NICs
in all of my racked machines. One NIC listens to world-visible
(with a software firewall) addresses (using a Level 3 Ethernet
switch), while the second one are connected to a dumb but cheap GBit
Ethernet switch running a private (e.g. 10.0.0.0/24) network,
serving NFS and similiar. With IMPI SMDC boards (btw, the Sun Fire
X2100 despite being only IPMI 1.5 can do remote BIOS and grub as
well as Linux boot messages via a syntax like

ipmitool -H 10.0.0.7 -P yourpasswordhere -e '!' -g -U Admin -I lan -v -v tsol

I intend to put IPMI on a different network (10.0.1.0/24, most likely)
in future, still binding it to the second NIC.

As my next project, I intend to try MTU 9000 with NFS (might be
time for a new switch if the old one doesn't do jumbo frames),
and to check out pvfs2 (current HA NFS via drbd has quite
awful performance, for multiple reasons).