[Beowulf] Vector coprocessors

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Mar 16 09:33:14 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 at 12:08pm, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote

> For MPI communication you might look at interactive supercomputing.
> Their product, Star-P, provides a bridge between MATLAB and clusters.
> It looks pretty cool (I've seen a demo).

Star-P does look pretty nice.  For now, though, ISC is not selling Star-P
directly, but only via resellers (mainly SGI) and only for Altix.

> As for Clearspeed and MATLAB, I'm sure they are talking. One of the
> bottlenecks is getting a complete BLAS/LAPACK library that is tuned
> for the hardware. Then you could use the Clearspeed card for computing.
> As other people have mentioned, the other bottleneck is getting data to
> and from the card.

They claim (on the PDFs on the site) to already have Level 3 BLAS and FFTW
working, both of which Matlab uses.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering