[Beowulf] cannot add service rlogin, rexec

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:45:26 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Swati Longia wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to setup a demo beowulf cluster.
> I just have two nodes a master and a slave, both have Fedora Core 2 installed
> on it.
> I searched on the net, found many HowTo's. I am following the one OSTG, don't
> know
> who has written it. It explains how to setup the head node and the slave node
> separately and extensively.
>
> But I am stuck at the place at which the HowTo says that the services rlogin
> and rexec should be up.
> When I try to add these services by chkconfig, it throws error saying that
> service rlogin/rexec does not support
> chkconfig.
>
> Can someone help me out on how to proceed now.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Swati

Several ways, but the "best" way in the short run is probably to use
ssh/sshd.  That should be already installed, if not, it is a "yum
install ssh\*" away.  ssh supplants the need for both of the
rlogin/rexec services indefinitely and is secure enough not to be a
problem (given your level of (in)experience at network services) until
much later, when your needs and skills have grown.

You can use ssh for pretty much anything you'd use the r-services for
including as a vehicle for trying out MPI or PVM or socket-based
parallel code.

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu