[Beowulf] MPICH config: DCHP addresses and /etc/hosts?

Nathan Moore nmoore at winona.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:02:02 PDT 2006

Hello,

I've downloaded and compiled MPICH2 on a small cluster of PowerPC's
running linux (YDL 4.1).  The cluster has home directories served
through NFS and common login accounts via NIS, with one of the
cluster nodes acting as the NFS/NIS server.

The machines reside on a campus network with IP addresses assigned
through DHCP.  Accordingly, I've left the /etc/exports file alone,

	[root at muscovey ~]# cat /etc/hosts
	127.0.0.1               muscovey localhost.localdomain localhost

While I've been able to get MPICH "mpd" deamon to run on a single
node, communication within the MPICH ring fails.  The error I've seen
with mpdcheck follows,

[root at muscovey ~]# mpdcheck -l

     **********
     Your fully qualified hostname seems to be set to 'localhost'.
     This generally means that your machine's /etc/hosts file
contains a line
     similar to this:
127.0.0.1 mybox1 localhost.localdomain localhost
     You probably want to remove your hostname from this line and
place it on
     a line by itself with your ipaddress, like this:
$ipaddr mybox1
     **********

     **********
     Your unqualified hostname resolves to 127.0.0.1, which is
     the IP address reserved for localhost. This likely means that
     you have a line similar to this one in your /etc/hosts file:
     127.0.0.1   $uqhn
     This should perhaps be changed to the following:
     127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

On my campus network, IP addresses are assigned by DHCP.  To my
knowledge, this precludes the sort of "normal" /etc/hosts file like
the one following,

[root at muscovey ~]# cat /etc/hosts.novel
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
199.17.152.135          muscovey.workstations.winona.edu muscovey

where 199.17.152.135 is found through ifconfig -a, and accordingly, I
seem to be stuck with an /etc/hosts like,

Is there a workaround in /etc/hosts that allows only hostnames to be
specified?  What is the proper format for /etc/hosts?  Alternatively,
how should MPICH be configured for DHCP (rather than static IP)?

Nathan Moore
Physics
Winona State University
AIM:nmoorewsu