[Beowulf] Clusters and Distro Lifespans

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jul 21 17:53:00 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Jim Lux wrote:

> Duct tape.. now you're talking!.. baling wire might not be bad too.
>
> Actually, you'd also need a little battery pack/wall wart to feed 5V to the
> slug (which I assume comes with it) and that would feed power to the USB2
> disk drive..

The drive I have gets power from the USB bus.  The question might well
be whether or not the slug can provide enough power to run two drives on
top of its own requirements, but if it does it is just one power cord.

> Hmmm.. a weekend project lurks... it's 105 degrees here, so a nice indoor
> project has real appeal.

Yeah, I'm really tempted, but only if I can do it with OPM.  BTW, the
slug in principle can do a USB bridge on port 1, but only with its WinXX
firmware.  Don't know if the linux side stuff is up to it yet.  If it
is, you could make a raid the size of a thick hardback novel...;-)

    rgb

> Jim

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu