writing skills Re: [Beowulf] Re: about clusters in high schools

Timothy W. Moore twm at tcg-hsv.com
Mon Jan 30 08:27:55 PST 2006

It is true that students require good writing skills.  When comparing my
course requirements with the current I found technical writing and
public speaking as having been added.  I did not have to take either and
wish I had.  My thesis probably would have gone much faster and I would
not have been so nervous at the defense.

Regarding teamwork...I saw no classes on team building, campfire scenes,
etc.  My son was home for the weekend and I discussed his classes and
teamwork.  He said the profs break the classes into teams for
collaboration.  When I was in school, we did that anyway.

I think the topic has deviated...I did not intend to create a firestorm.
I merely voiced an opinion/observation.  It is a tragedy when engineers
and scientists rely more and more on canned software for their problem
solving.  I have written data acquisition sw, finite element programs,
and programs to solve problems that no package on Earth could do.  There
is a tendency for young engineers to use these packages, produce a
solution, and promote it as the gospel because "that is what the code
said." There is an old saying....Garbage in, Garbage out!
Engineers/Scientists degrade their skills by relying so heavily on these
packages because their knowledge and understanding of the algorithms
does not exist. It is true that not all engineers require such knowledge
but some day they might.

I went through an exercise to try and hire a good young engineer a few
years ago.  I wanted to unload, reduce the hours I work, and start
traveling with my wife.  I gave up the search because I wanted an
engineer (US citizenship required) with programming skills.  Some of the
applicants asked "What is FORTRAN"?  The only applicants with
programming skills were the engineers educated abroad that answered the
ad out of desparation.