RS: [Beowulf] about clusters in high schools

Alan Ward award at uda.ad
Thu Jan 26 23:51:53 PST 2006

Happy to see I'm not the only one to think along these lines.

This year, with my class of 17-year-old science and technology strudents, the entire CS program is applied to, around and through a mini-beowulf we're building. Subjects such as (inter)networking, programming and 3D modelling (with Povray) lend themselves very nicely to such use. I also have my collegues teaching Mathematics, Biology and Industrial Drawing rather excited about the project.

It is also agreeable to our lords and masters, as the materials used are recycled: both cheap (!) and politically satisfactory.

This Monday 30th, we've arranged a class day trip to Barcelona to see the Marenostrum at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center - who have been very open and helpful in this respect.

Alan Ward
CS teacher and responsable for ITs
Escola Andorrana - Centre de Batxillerat

PS: you're very lucky to have found a school where computers are replaced so often.