[Beowulf] about clusters in high schools

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Fri Jan 27 06:00:58 PST 2006

I recall almost 8 years ago, Jon "Mad Dog" Hall talking
about High School in New England that was asking parents to donate
old computers to build clusters. Obviously, there can be two goals
here.

- learn about clustering using older, but ubiquitous hardware. Which is
  really a powerful thing. The basics of the "clustered approach"
  can be applied to many different problems.
- use a real cluster to do HPC (the benchmark being better performance
  than a good desk top system can achieve.)

I have an interest in such an idea as well at both ClusterWorld and now
ClusterMonkey.net, the writers and I have put quite a bit of effort into
"introductory material".  Take a look at the "New To Clusters"  page on
Cluster Monkey.net:

http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/91/44/

that includes RGB's excellent introductory series (about half the articles
are published). Furthermore, anyone who would like to contribute
to a "Clusters in High School" section on Cluster Monkey.net will have my
support and my help as I have been talking to some local high schools
about
a similar idea.

Finally, I think I'm going to add a set of links for "instant cluster CD's"
so that those latent PCs can be easily turned into a real cluster.

--
Doug

Doug