[Beowulf] since we are talking about file systems ...

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jan 18 04:50:39 PST 2006

"C. Ahmet MERCAN" <ahmet.mercan at gmail.com> writes:

> No, because an one-byte-size file wastes a block of harddisk.

That's file system dependent. Solaris UFS can subdivide blocks into
fragments. A file can use as little as an eighth of a block.

I guess one of Joe's points is that, yes, you can have zillions of
little files in a flat directory without too much pain. Just use
the correct operating system and file system.

I agree, but it's still a nasty habit. You might be fine right now,
but you never know when you'll end up in a *new* situation where you
suddenly get a per-file overhead.

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert