[Beowulf] Naming Convention Survey

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Mon Jan 9 15:46:23 PST 2006

1) /home - backed-up, secure, intended for long-term storage.  Great
performance from the head node (for compiling software).  Mounted NFS across
cluster for read access.

2) /scratch - PVFS2, intended for use during job runs, accessible by all nodes
and head node.  Not bad at all for a free, COTS solution for a
high-performance file system.

3) /scratch-local - Local scratch space, usually on the order of about 80 GB
for jobs that need better performance/latency than PVFS2 over GigE offers.

In a sense, exactly as you described:

/home - a place to compile and keep "stuff"
/scratch - a bit of disk to use while code is running
/scratch-local - a bit of disk with special characteristics, likely
		high-performance

Although, I would like to shorten the name of /scratch-local at some point...
seems a bit too much (this from a guy who loves two-letter commands and
meaningless 1 letter variables in his shell code... commented thoroughly, of
course).

-Brian Smith