[Beowulf] removing tiles around heavy racks?

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Tue Jan 3 09:47:02 PST 2006

Mark Hahn wrote:
> around a heavy rack, how many floor tiles can you safely remove?
>
> I'm about to embark on a large installation: compute racks will contain
> 38 1U servers and so weigh ~1500 lbs each.  the network (Quadrics) will
> be installed first, before rolling in the compute racks.  partly for
> space reasons, but also because it doesn't seem safe to have a bunch
> of 1500 lbs racks surrounded by a sea of missing tiles...
>
> but it would be good to know what the threshold is - how many tiles
> you can remove around a heavy rack before becoming crazily risky...
> any horror stories?  ;)
>
> thanks, mark hahn.
> PS: 16" over slab, feet glued, stringers screwed-on, composite tiles.

I've not studied the physics of it, but I can't see where the
surrounding tiles would have an effect.  You obviously don't want to
remove the tiles the rack is sitting on.  And those tiles should be
supported by a metal grid.  As far as I know, the metal grid and the
poles under it support all the weight, and the tiles themselves only
help support what is directly sitting on them.

If someone knows something I don't, please feel free to speak up.