[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Feb 25 13:19:59 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:

> I tried out Toon's code on an x86_64 system with 16GB of RAM running RHEL4 U2.
> The distro's gfortran 4.0.0 compiled the code, but segfaulted when I
> tried to run it.
> I then downloaded an experimental gfortran 4.2.0 from:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
>
> This version worked fine.  I tested NSIZE up to "1 300 000 000_8",
> which top reported as 14.5GB.
>
> --
> Andrew Shewmaker

Great news!  That's exactly what we're planning to get for prototyping
large codes -- a 16 GB x64 system -- and it sounds like it will work
(whether or not it does now in production) by the time we are likely to
get the hardware.

Thanks!  Everybody who replied, actually...

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu