[Beowulf] Re: NIS to LDAP gateway

Bjorn Tore Sund bjornts at mi.uib.no
Thu Feb 16 01:34:38 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

> Andrew D. Fant wrote:

> > The talk of NIS servers has raised a question I had been meaning to
> > ask.  Does anyone know about a NIS/LDAP gateway?  Our cluster's
> > compute nodes are all on a private network that is isolated from the
> > primary network here.  Currently, we manage passwords and accounts
> > by just copying the password, group, and shadow files from the user
> > node to the compute nodes on a regular basis.  NIS was not used out
> > of somewhat misplaced fears about it's insecurity.  We are under a
> > mandate now to start using the enterprise LDAP directory for
> > authorization and authentication on the cluster.  I really don't
> > want to have to set up a full-fledged LDAP environment on the head
> > node, or change my address space and start routing packets between
> > the cluster and the outside world.  I've heard rumors that there are
> > daemons out there that can connect to LDAP on one side and that act
> > like ypserv on the other side and translate and route getpwent() and
> > related requests between the two worlds.  Has anyone actually seen
> > and/or used this beastie? Alternately, has anyone ever set up an
> > LDAP proxy for use inside a cluster?  The only packet routing we
> > have between the outside world and the cluster is currently daemon
> > based on the management node, and I dread adding packet forwarding
> > to the iptables configuration on the head nodes and becoming a
> > perceived competitor to our networking group.

I seem to be lagging sadly behind with this email list...  The
standard tool for this (unless you have Solaris with nis2ldap
built-in) is a commercial product from PADL,
http://www.padl.com/Products/NISLDAPGateway.html

There's an evalutation download.

-Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund           Phone:  (+47) 555-84894    Stupidity is like a
System administrator      Fax:    (+47) 555-89672    fractal; universal and