[Beowulf] how fast can NFS run?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Wed Feb 1 14:33:55 PST 2006

Bruce Allen wrote:

>> I have seen 200MB/s over infiniband. Needless to say I was not overly
>> impressed, expecting more something in the 800-900MB/s
>> range. (pci-x bottlenecked infiniband)
>

> PCI-X should be 133 MHz x 8 bytes = 1034 MB/s.  Any idea why it
> bottlenecked at 200?

The 1034MB/s will really be more like 800-900MB/s in reality, that is
what I saw doing MPI/VAPI.

I did not have time (or customer demand ;-) ) to look into what was
going on with the NFS over IB
and so I have only guesses that the drivers where optimized for VAPI and
that the NFSoTCPIPoIB
really should be NFSoSDPoIB to get better performance.

Michael