[Beowulf] RE: Wake On Lan (WOL) doesn't work with 3c905c

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Dec 14 16:01:12 PST 2006

"ALEF AUMAN" <auman_alef at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wake On Lan doesn't work for the following on board NIC card in a HP VL400
> computer :
> 01:04.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev
> 7
> I'm using Ubuntu(Edgy)

Isn't WOL fun?  I've wasted many days on WOL related problems.
At least you know the board hardware really suports it, unlike the
infamous Tyan S2466, since you have a positive control from XP.
My last foray into this turned up a bug in the nvidia driver
where it was writing it's own MAC into the NIC register backwards.
The other trick is that you have to be sure that when the system
shuts down it goes to the right power state.  That's where Ubuntu
might be biting you.

See if anything in these links helps:

> I don't have the following lines
> 	Supports Wake-on: g
> 	Wake-on: g
> and this is not a good sign.
> Maybe the driver is not good in Ubuntu?

I think that may be normal for this card.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu