[Beowulf] More technical information and spec of beowulf

Ruhollah Moussavi Baygi ruhollah.mb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 00:58:49 PST 2006

Hi Reza,
Following may be helpful. Please anyone at Beowulf that thinks his/her notes
can help, participate in this subject:

MPI is nothing, but a library of some functions that can be called by a code
(written in FORTRAN or C) to pass information between CPUs. On the other
hand, Beowlf is nothing but a network of commonplace computers with this
library installed on all fo them. Truthfully speaking, i have not a thorough
experience in adjusting MPI configurations, but, as far as i know there are
no special configurations, and just installing of MPI is enough.
As you told, Beowulf is just this. However, after implementation you can use
it depending on your applications. There are 2 possibilities: 1-you (or your
staff) yourself write parallel program (FORTRAN/C) and then compile it on
Beowulf cluster, or, 2- you use prepared packages like GROMACS, DLPOLY,
ESPRESSO, ... which mainly are ready with their source codes.

--
Best,
Ruhollah Moussavi Baygi