[Beowulf] 'liquid cooled' racks

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Wed Dec 6 07:50:55 PST 2006

Jim Lux wrote:
> At 04:20 AM 12/6/2006, Daniel Kidger wrote:
>> I am at a UK HPC Conference today (so is Greg L for that matter)
>> One of the speakers said he was evaluating Spraycool to retrofit to his
>> existing cluster.
>>
>> So if these guys spray *downwards* on the chip - what is the risk of
>> a blocked
>> tube causing the Flurinert to catch fire?
>
> Fluorinert is, as the name implies, inert.  It doesn't burn.
> Actually, it's pretty amazing stuff.  If you remember the photo from
> decades ago of the mouse breathing under the surface of a liquid..
> that was Flourinert.
Non-combustable, but not exactly inert.   At temperatures greater than
200 degrees C it begins to decompose yielding
an HF aerosol among other things.  I believe there was an incident with
the old Cray T90 that required a computer room evacuation, but perhaps
that was an urban myth.

rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one
 perceived. The subject and object are but one."

Erwin Schroedinger

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.