[Beowulf] 'liquid cooled' racks

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Dec 6 06:46:42 PST 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Ashley Pittman wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 12:20 +0000, Daniel Kidger wrote:
>> Slide 18 implies there early market is for Defence systems - I guess getting
>> rid of hot air on a submarine is a bit tricky?
>
> I shouldn't imagine it's to tricky although it probably depends on where
> you park it, I can't imagine hot liquid would be any different however.

Right, the waste heat from cluster nodes is a tiny bit of redirected
energy and waste heat from the nuclear reactor.  Submarines have always
had to deal with thermal regulation in both directions as they generate
2nd-law based waste heat in many locations (including human bodies) and
sail through waters that range from tepid to warm in the tropics to
quite cold in the arctic (and generally quite cool at cruising depths
wherever).

It's not like all the OTHER electronics on a submarine don't generate
heat.

    rgb