[Beowulf] Node Drop-Off

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 4 08:57:50 PST 2006

To let nodes fail quickly, go find BIG primes with latest GMP nonstop at the
opterons.
After a few days of nonstop calculation bad nodes should get total hung,
when you hit worst case path.

most use prime95 for such stuff, but that thing is using exclusively "intel"
assembly SIMD code
and the cpu's seem quite well tested/fixed for SIMD.

Seems to me that a mix of integer multiplication and modulo there is worst
case path of those opteron chips.

It is of course also possible it hits a bug in the linux kernel, because my
own code doesn't get hung at all when running at 4 cores, whereas GMP did do
exactly that.

My code currently works fastest at windows, as it doesn't have inline
assembly for linux yet.

I wouldn't rule out that linux kernel simply has bugs there. The testing of
those kernels is total amateuristic.

Vincent