[Beowulf] Java vs C++ for interfacing to parallel library

Jonathan Ennis-King Jonathan.Ennis-King at csiro.au
Sun Aug 20 23:20:36 PDT 2006

> [...]
>> with parallel performance, or it this just a subcase of Java-C
>> interfacing in a scalar setting.
>

>> The other option is the Unix-like strategy suggested by rgb, where for
>> example the computational part is completely written in C, and then the
>> pre and post-processing which benefit from a GUI are written in some
>> other language (e.g. Java), or strung together from other unix tools and
>> wrapper languages.
>

> Or a library-based strategy.  If you take your core code and develop a
> plain old reusable library out of it with a fairly straightforward API
> (which takes a lot of programming discipline and a certain amount of
> practice, I think, but isn't particularly difficult) then you can USE
> the library in a variety of UIs.  You can write a simple
> vanilla-variable C interface to embed in java or perl.  You can write a
> tty/ascii UI for command line users.  You can write a Gtk/Gnome
> interface using glade and callbacks for native X/linux.  The UI code may
> or many not be portable (tty/ascii I/O code using standard posix and
> libc and libm calls is pretty much lowest common denominator and tends
> to run compile and run "anywhere" including on Windows boxes with
> minimal tweaking, more complex UIs become successively harder to port to
> and less portable, as a rule) but the library itself, if written in
> "boring" C with a very clear and simple API, should be able to support
> all the UIs and interactive languages in a straightforward manner.
>

> That's actually what I'd recommend if you really want UI flexibility and
> code maintainability.  The latter is a very important consideration that
> hasn't been touched on yet.  If you actually WRITE your application
> integrated with a complex top level language/tool like perl, python,
> java then maintaining it becomes much more complicated (as I've learned
> very much the hard way, alas). If the basic sparse matrix routine
> library changes, it will likely lead to emergent bugs.  If your C/C++
> encapsulation of that routine changes or your application goals change
> over time along with your core code, it's another thing to debug.  If
> java (or any other UI base) changes, it's yet another thing to debug.
> If you get enough layers (and languages and data interfaces) in there,
> running down bugs and deciding "whose fault" they are gets to be really
> quite difficult.  Fault aside, just finding them and fixing them can
> become painful in the extreme.
>
> For that reason I think it is a really good idea to have as few distinct
> layers as possible to work with and to SEPARATE those so that they can
> be separately debugged with a clean layer (API) in between.  If your
> program is wrapped up in a library with a very simple C tty/ascii UI,
> you control it all and can be pretty certain that any errors you
> encounter are in YOUR code in ONE language and ONE data representation.
> In other words, you have a decent chance of efficiently debugging

The most primitive way to separate the layers is to have stand-alone
programs to do the various parts. This works easily in a cluster
environment, when I don't want to have interaction with the computation
when it's running. Then the interface is via the file formats (which is
a maintainence issue too), and programs that extract data from the
simulation output and put in a form for 3D visualization.

At the other extreme is a parallel programming environment such as
Cactus (http://www.cactuscode.org), which can make use of PETSC, but
only supports Fortran, C and C++. This looks quite promising for PDE
solvers.   It also apparently allows "remote steering" of computations.
Only the name is a little incongruous to me --  in the Australian
vernacular "cactus" means roughly "dead, non-functional" (applied to
objects), or "in a lot of trouble" (applied to people).

The most likely way ahead is that I'll code up some simple test versions
(e.g. interfacing different languages to the solver libraries), and see
how they perform - bearing in mind the wisdom of the elders derived from
this thread.

- --
  Jonathan Ennis-King
  email: Jonathan.Ennis-King at csiro.au
  post: CSIRO Petroleum, Private Bag 10, Clayton South, Victoria, 3169,
Australia
  ph: +61-3-9545 8355 fax: +61-3-9545 8380