[Beowulf] ANN: MorphMPI project (in alpha stage)

Toon Knapen toon.knapen at fft.be
Fri Aug 18 06:44:42 PDT 2006

Dear all,

Some time ago there have been multiple discussions on an MPI ABI.
Finally we concluded that we would be able to accomplish the same goal
by putting a small layer on top of MPI (MorphMPI) that would make
abstraction of the underlying MPI implementation. As usual, the solution
is to add an extra level of abstraction ;-). Applications compiled
against MorphMPI would be able to be relinked to any MPI implementation
without having to be recompiled.

So finally I developed a small prototype of such a MorphMPI. Using this
MorphMPI I was able to compile an application on an AMD-Opteron and
launch it using mpich-ch_p4, mpichgm and the preinstalled mpich on a
Cray XD1. To make sure it would not only work with several derivatives
of mpich I also tested it successfully on an HP-UX using mpich-ch_p4 and
HP-MPI (which is LAM based).

I uploaded my prototype to http://sourceforge.net/projects/morphmpi and
you can find a (far too short) description at
http://morphmpi.sourceforge.net/.

If there is any interest in the library I plan to make it more
user-friendly and extend it to cover the full MPI-1.1 standard.

toon