[Beowulf] Opteron cooling specifications?

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Fri Apr 28 08:18:08 PDT 2006

Bill,

I have similar issues in purchasing. U. of Wisconsin requires that we use
a sealed bid system, so writing good specs is important.

You can get some protection by requiring that in their submisssion a
bidder provide you with MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) statistical data
for ALL fans in a system and for the power supply.  You can also require
that (example language) 'when system is fully loaded the CPU temperature
must be at least 10 Celsuis below the CPU manufacturers maximum
recommended operating temperature'.

Then have your purchasing people add language which allows you to take
overall system reliability and total cost of ownership into account in
making a purchase descision (rather than just the contract cost).  This
allows you to exclude a system if the MTBF numbers are too low.

Cheers,
 	Bruce