[Beowulf] Which is better: 32x2 or 64x1

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Fri Apr 28 07:49:44 PDT 2006

For what it's worth, the Opteron 175 (2 x 2.2 GHz cores) is identical
silicon to the AMD64 x2 4400+. The qualification/testing process is
apparently NOT the same for the two types of chip, and the register that
returns 'chip ID' is programmed differently.  Other than that, I have been
told by AMD engineers that they are identical.

Cheers,
 	Bruce