[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Sep 30 04:39:43 PDT 2005

Leif Nixon wrote:
> Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:
>
>> I remember well and with no regrets managing all kinds of software that
>> one had to kludge together solutions for back in the /usr/local days.
>> This is one of the things that MOTIVATED application packaging and FSH
>> -- splitting up applications into multiple, non-standard paths does NOT
>> scale well and can NOT handle arbitrarily complex package installation
>> requirements without work, and the work required to MAKE it work is
>> immense and would be done slightly differently by every two people who
>> ever tried it (so all that work isn't even reusable).  Bad, bad, bad.
>
> So what about us poor souls who need to have several versions of the
> same package installed in parallel? Like five gcc versions, two Dalton
> versions, two Gaussian (spit!) versions, three Molcas versions, two
> Matlab versions...

Well, since these aren't in RPMs and dont follow the one-true-way ...
we are destined to roam the backwaters of true clusterdom.  Only two
Gaussian versions?  I presume g03 of various flavors?  Or g98 + g03 ...

Iv'e been worrying about whether I should try a versioning bit in my
NCBI rpms.  So that they install into /path/version_number, and then
soft link the bins and man pages into the right locations.  I don't have
a good solution I am happy with here.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO