[Beowulf] Remote console management

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Thu Sep 22 20:30:32 PDT 2005

Hi Stuart,

> My experience has not been positive in this area.  Serial consoles tend to be
> very expensive and not provide access to the bios unless the mother board has
> support for serial access to the bios (don't expect this in cheap compute
> nodes).

The nodes we are currently considering (dual opterons, supermicro
motherboard) do support serial bios access.

> We use kvm over ethernet to the head nodes of our clusters and don't bother
> with the compute nodes.

This is similar to what we do with our existing four-year-old 296-node
cluster and our previous (1998!) 48-node cluster.

> We looked at serially attached power boards to remotely power cycle nodes,
> but again they were very expensive (for 150 nodes).

We can get the remote power cycle from the IPMI cards.

> It looks like all serial consoles/remote management cards/kvm's tend to be
> around $500-$1000/node, which tends to be ~50% the cost of the compute node
> (in our clusters).

The IPMI cards add $60 - $80 per node which works out to $30 - $40 per
CPU.  This is reasonable.

The Cyclades TS 3000 (48 serial ports) is available in quantity 1 for $4k.
This works out to $83 per node.

> For a large cluster (100+ nodes) and sub $100/node, the cheapest solution is
> to give a PhD or grad student an extra $10k and get a small trolley with
> keyboard/monitor/mouse.

We've been doing this for a number of years, though we use undergrads
because they cost less!  But we'd like something more consistently
available 24x7 from anywhere.

The cost of IPMI cards + a serial terminal box appears to be around
$150/node.  Our nodes are going to be quite expensive, as we are also
using the cluster for distributed storage.  So this cost is acceptable,
though I would prefer to reduce it to the $100/node level if possible.

In any case the cost is much less than the $500 - $1000 per node that you
quote.

So I would be interested in hearing the experiences of others who have
done this.

Cheers,
 	Bruce