[Beowulf] Differenz between a Grid and a Cluster???

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Mon Sep 19 14:54:40 PDT 2005

> Hello,
>
> i really need your help to this question. What is the differenz between a
> Grid (or Grid Computing) and a Cluster?
>
> There is very much literature in the net but mostly it is quite different
> among each other.
>
> What are the main points for Grid and Cluster?

I think the main point is administrative domains. Basically,
a cluster is run under a single administrative domain (i.e. you have an
account and file space in this domain) A grid is where you combine
multiple administrative domains to form a computing resource. (i.e. you
may use two clusters each of which have separate administrative domains
which may or may not be under the control of your organization.)

Much of the Globus toolkit provides the plumbing to connect separate
administrative domains. In practice, the communication between
administrative domains in a grid is much slower than between nodes.
(Think Internet vs Infiniband (or similar)).

--
Doug

> Kind regards,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --
> Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
> Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner

Doug