[Beowulf] Choice of GigE switch: again

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Sep 16 11:19:57 PDT 2005

I'm looking for relative cheap GigE 16-port switch for building
of Beowulf cluster.

1) The choice I have (prices are here in Russia):

NetGear GS116 ($280-$300)
Linksys SR2016 ($315-$460) w/Lifetime warranty, "non-blocking"
SMC GS16 ($320-$360)
D-Link DGS-1016D ($260-$280)

Many vendors don't say as usually about "system bus throughput",
i.e. about possibility of simultaneous support of full GigE bandwidth
on all the switch ports. D-Link say about 32 Gbps, Linksys - about
"non-blocking".

Sorry, do somebody have any information about their pluses/minuses,
1st of all from the viewpoint of internal bus throughput ?

2) Next step may be support of "Jumbo frames".
I know only about SMC8524T 24-port switch (it costs here $465-$480 w/1
year of warranty); Dell PowerConnect 5324 costs about $1100+
Is there some other not expensive swicthes w/Jumbo frames ?

3) May be some reasons to buy (for cluster) more expensive switches
like HP ProCurve 27xx (24 port J4897A) ?

Yours
Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow