[Beowulf] How can i get the port number of a switch port via snmp?

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 11:33:31 PDT 2005

I'll also echo Robert's statements about managed or unmanaged.  being
a network engineer by trade i have often written scripts in perl that
utilize linux and the net-snmp toolkit to query Cisco switches through
snmp and then setting a particuliar port as admin. up/down

i can't locate the perl offhand, but from the shell using net-snmp,
you can use the following commands to retrieve the interface status
and then snmpset the variable to change the interface into a down
state...

snmpwalk -c $COMM $IPADDR ifDesc | grep "FastEthernet"

use this to get the instance from the ifDesc (ie ifDesc.0 ~ fastethernet0/0)

snmpget -c $COMM $IPADDR ifAdminStatus.0
snmpget -c $COMM $IPADDR ifOperStatus.0

use this to check the status for the ports

snmpset -v1 -c $COMM $IPADDR ifAdminStatus.0 = 2

use this to set the port into a down state