[Beowulf] 1. Re: Jury rigged ethernet? (Robert G. Brown, et al)

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Sep 3 15:07:27 PDT 2005

Ed;

It is very easy for industry to make cabling which has consistent, and
reasonably precise impedance characteristics.

The big difference in cabling will be the type of dielectric between the
individual wires of the twisted pair, and the quality of the outer
jacket.

With any "RF" cable the connectors and termination are important. For
very high performance applications at gigabit speed and beyond, it is
probably a good idea to test cables before installing them, as it is
very easy to end up with a termination which is unacceptable in terms of
reactive component and value of resistive impedance, resulting in
unacceptable performance characteristics.

You might be surprised at how bad the impedance matching in the feedline
itself has to be to end up with significant signal loss. Also, you might
be surprised to discover how easy it is to end up with a "bad"
terminating connector that causes very serious loss....

What I'm saying is that, barring a damaged cable, it is almost never the
cable itself and is almost always the termination at one end of the
cable.

Relying on mismatched cheap nic transceivers is spotty , at best and
probably not very productive because serious line losses will not result
from minor impedance mismatches. (A 2:1 VSWR or less is considered
acceptable in two-way radio work)

The thing you want to watch out for is the introduction of stray
reactances that throw things way off... like bad connectors or damaged
cables.

Glen