[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Oct 4 16:54:56 PDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:08 am, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> If your institution (which has to PAY those not at all
> insubstantial maintenance costs) forces users to FIX THEIR CODE so that
> it does NOT require any specific package/library/compiler or at least so
> that it will easily rebuild with only minimal tweaks as any of the above
> evolve in time (as they will, of course) you incur another set of costs.

Ah, but in our case those are *not* the same institutions.

Our users belong to Universities, they all put money into a pot to fund VPAC
(along with money we earn ourselves from industry collaborations with people
like General Motors Holden) and then we have the job of supporting their
users with whatever problems they wish to run on our clusters.

The users are our bread and butter, if we don't make them happy and get them
running we are fulfilling our responsibilities to the universities.

Chris