[Beowulf] portable clusters

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 30 07:38:16 PST 2005

At 05:26 AM 11/30/2005, Jonathan J Smith wrote:
>Maybe I'm missing something here. But TFTP and DHCP from windows is a fairly
>simple task.

In theory, yes, but go try searching the MS Knowledgebase for useful
information.  I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I haven't found it.  As
rgb pointed out, MS tends to hide the mechanics of remote boot beneath a
handy GUI.

It's also partly because the MS worldview puts functionality like this in
the hands of a "server", so it's not clear that XP or XPPro, for instance,
would have the functionality in a useful way.  The services/applications
might exist, they might even run (XP and Win2000 and W2003 aren't all that
different under the hood), but you might also need ten tons of other server
management dreck that's all comingled, and not possible for a mere mortal
to copy into the XP widget piecemeal.

>  If that is all you need to support booting diskless compute
>nodes then this should be a fairly trivial task.

Indeed.. and if you know where MS hides dhcpd and tftpd (or their
functions), I'd love to know.

Actually, having poked a bit at the other end of the problem (the "windows
only hardware interface") something else that comes up is Linux support for
USB controlled printer ports and the like, but that's a whole 'nother can
of worms.

>Is there something more involved than this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jonathan Smith

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075