[Beowulf] portable clusters

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 28 13:26:25 PST 2005

At 12:43 PM 11/28/2005, John Hearns wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 15:09 -0500, Andrew Fant wrote:
> > Jim Lux wrote:
> > >

> > I can't speak to how viable the use of windows as a head node is, but
> > do know that LANL had a paper in the last couple of Linux Journals
>about
> >    building just such a beast, housed in a plastic toolbox.  They had
> > one of their prototypes on display at SC2005.  They use a thinkpad as
> > the head node on their systems.  You might want to check with them
>for
> > more engineering details.
>If I remember the article this was a stack of PC-105 boards?
They stacked the boards using threaded spacers.

PC104 form factor, actually, and they used a Linux box as the headnode.

The LLL folks have a 4 (or 8?) minicluster built from Via Mini-ITX boxes in
the nifty little M100 enclosures from mini-box.com.  I forget what they
used as a headnode.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075