RS: [Beowulf] Sempron compile optimization

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Nov 26 19:50:58 PST 2005

Alan Ward wrote:
> I'm running a Fedora, classicaly compiled for "i686", on the aforesaid
> Semperon 3000+ (actually a 1800MHz clock).

Hi Alan:

   This "i686" will not work with this "-m64".   You are running a 32
bit OS, and there is no support for running a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit OS
that I am aware of in Linux.

[...]

> So far, a quick series summation gave me:
>
> * "vanilla" gcc (no switches):  19.1 s
>
> * add -march=athlon: 9.9 s
>
> * other FPU options (-sse, -3dnow) have no further effect, probably
> incorporated into athlon.
>
> * replace with -march=x86-64: 8.3 s
>
> * add -m64: cc1 complains, doesn't compile. Doc says it should work (yah).

No it should not work.  The ABIs are different.  You might be able to
run a 32 bit OS app on your 64 bit OS if you have the right libraries
installed, and the correct patches applied to the kernel.  Basically it
invokes a thunking layer as I remember to interface to the rest of the
system.