[Beowulf] cpu information

bala rb at hcl.in
Fri Nov 25 21:04:25 PST 2005

Dear all,
I am bechmarking a server with intel xeon DP 3.6GHZ on a Brandon2 mother
board. I wanted to check the performance of the machine with a single
processor and i removed a processor leaving the setup with a single Xeon
(Nocona)3.6 Ghz DP processor on board.

While running the intel optimised linpack benchmark on this setup to my
surprise the result had a processor information with 2.72 Ghz. When i
checked the /proc/cpuinfo in RHAS 4 update platform i was using the same
frequency was available.

But the BIOS information shows a single processor with 3600Ghz. HT is
enabled.

With linux both smp kernel and ordinary up kernel are showing the same
cpu speed.

What could be the reason for this?

Regards,

Balamurugan. R