[Beowulf] Memory for Tyan motherboards

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri May 20 09:28:06 PDT 2005

> > I've had it suggested that Tyan only support PC2700 memory when 16GiB is
> > used. Does anybody have any experience with Tyans and 16Gib of ram?
>
> My understanding is that the older opterons including the B* C* revisions
> will run 4 dimms per cpu at PC2100 or PC2700 when they are doublesided.
> PC3200 would "work" but only provide the lower performance.  So you
> would be best off buying the PC2700.

as far as I can tell, pretty much each rev of the CPU
improves the number of memory ranks and speed of the memory controller.
(a memory rank is one side of a dimm, not counting the fact that dimms
are usually installed in pairs.)

> So basically with 130nm opterons buy PC2700 if it's cheaper, buy a 90nm
> opteron and PC3200, or get a quad and PC3200 1GB dimms.

I recently received quads with 2.6GHz rev e4 chips that appears to
run all ranks at pc3200 (tyan S4882 boards, kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G
dimms, I believe.)

regards, mark hahn.