[Beowulf] CCL:Opteron or Nocona ? (fwd from cavallo at chemistry.unina.it)

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 20:04:17 PDT 2005

Morning

It highly depends on your code and whether you are going to run more
than a single cpu in a box.  If you are only going to purchase single
cpu boxes, I think they are more or less the same.

If, however, you are going to run more than a single cpu box, I think
it is fair to say, that the Opterons should give better performance.
Just look at the spec rate fp base and you will see that a dual
processor opteron system out perform the Nocona systems by a long way.

Each opteron chip has its own memory controller.  So, if you have 2
cpu's, you have 2 memory controllers and your memory bandwidth scales
linearly.  Nocona chips sit on a bus with a single memory
controller.  If you have 2 cpu's you still only have 1 memory
controller, so each chip, on average, sees only 1/2 the memory
bandwidth.

The other issue is memory latency.  Because the Opterons have the
memory controller on the actual cpu chip, their latency to memory is
very very low, which gives an effective increase in memory
bandwidth.  The Nocona chips have the memory controller off chip, so
their latency is high, reducing effective memory bandwidth.

There are other minor difference, but the memory sub-system is the
one that gives the biggest performance difference.

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com