[Beowulf] Re: vectors vs. loops

Tim Mattox tmattox at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:22:25 PDT 2005

Well said RGB!

I view the success of Beowulf clusters in this light:
The ability to use parallel processing essentially turns the problem
of maximizing performance, into the problem of maximizing the
performance/dollar ratio of the building blocks of your parallel machine.
(Replace "dollar" with "watt" or "square feet" depending on your
true budget limits.)
It also helps to have a cool name for this... Spareparticus didn't
catch on... ;-)

And for a neat (but imperfect) tool for seeing what kind of COTS
cluster fits your application needs and various budget constraints,
check out my colleagues Cluster Design Rules expert system:
http://aggregate.org/CDR/

Make sure you pick a more recent parameter/price data set than
the default.  (The "Default Parameter Set" menu choice has prices
from 2003 when I checked it today... that's supposed to be updated
soon, but there is a new set from a few weeks ago you can pick.)

P.S. - Googling for Sparparticus will find among other things this
article:
http://www.research.uky.edu/odyssey/spring02/supercomputers.html

Tim Mattox - tmattox at gmail.com - http://homepage.mac.com/tmattox/