[Beowulf] Re: vectors vs. loops

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 3 05:54:18 PDT 2005

This gets into such famous discussions about "what language is most
computing done in?"  If you're looking at raw operations, at the application
level, it's probably COBOL or RPG or maybe, Java (compiled).  (What language
are ORACLE's products written in?)  If you count OS kernel, it might be C,
but it might also be Assembler.  What about all those cumulative MIPS in the
billions of cellphones?

But, if we talk about computationally intensive, single problem  (to
eliminate the enormous volume of transaction processing systems), there are
vectorizable things that get done all the time, albeit without much fanfare
and excitement.  Signal processing (like seismic data reduction) is
typically quite vectorizable.  Finite Element Models in many forms
(structural, thermal, electrical) are also vectorizable.  The processing for
these FEM things tend to look like building, then inverting a giant sparse
matrix, and by now, all the solvers have been optimized to store things in a
way to "keep the pipeline full".

Joe's comment on IDC's survey results for where HPCs are being bought should
be taken in the light that the users of FEM might not consider themselves
HPC users, even though they are.

Jim Lux