[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Mar 31 09:16:01 PST 2005

Hi Mike:

   Opterons will do better with a 2.6 kernel (2.6.9 and higher).  If you
are going to use RHEL, you might want to look at Rocks (RHEL3 based) or
Warewulf which should be able to sit atop RHEL4.  If you want to use a
Redhat work-alike, you might want to look closely at Centos4.

   I am sure others will take issue with this, but I would strongly
advise against using a rolling beta OS (FC-x) as the basis for a
production cycle machine.  If it is a purely experimental cluster, go
for it.  If it is supposed to provide cycles to a wide group, you might
look more closely at a supported/supportable distribution.

   We have had good luck with SuSE 9.x (x>=1), RHEL3, CentosX on
clusters using a variety of meta-distributions (warewulf, Rocks,
others).  Most of our customers seem to prefer the RHEL series, so we
tend to work with that more than others, but YMMV.

joe