[Beowulf] Alternative to MPI ABI

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Fri Mar 25 11:34:43 PST 2005

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> You get the idea.

This is pretty much the position I reached after talking with other MPI
developers and some ISVs. Bill's paper shows that it is technically
possible, what is missing is the critical mass. We may have that today.

> There's a slight performance penalty for the translation layer, but for
> those who want an MPI ABI, this might well be an acceptable price to pay.

This performance penalty would be negligeable for the current MPI
operations on today's machines. This common external interface could be
designed to do the translation faster.

This design has my vote.

Patrick
--