[Beowulf] Jumbo Gigabit Switches again (SMC vs HP)

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Thu Mar 24 07:40:07 PST 2005

Dear Beowulfers,

Sorry to bring up the old question but can anyone advice me to choose
between
cheaper SMC8648T which supports 9K jumbo frames
and
more expensive but I think with better warranty and support
HP ProCurve Switch 2848
here its brochure
http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/datasheets/switch_2800_series.pdf

it is unclear though what is the size of jumbo frame in HP one.

The goals I'm looking for:
* high density -- we have 26 nodes + 1 service connections, so 24 port
  switch is not enough any more
* high throughput from the server (so there is not that much MPI going
  on on our cluster)
* reduced server load (now with 23 nodes, intensive I/O brings server
  down to its kneese - the crowd of nfsd's starves CPU time), that is
  why I'm trying to grab a switch with jumbo frames

Please advise between the two

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark