[Beowulf] mixing MPI with other libraries...

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Jun 27 00:57:12 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 04:30 +0100, Cheng, Kevin wrote:

> Thanks guys for your help. I managed to get passwordless rsh & ssh to
> work. I upgraded to mpich2 as I got more familiar with mpich1 and
> mpich2 is running fine.
>
> Just curious questions:
>
> 1. If one had an existing project, say a GTK or QT application with
> Makefile and everything. If one wanted to incorporate MPI into this
> project, one would just replace (in the Makefile) the 'GCC = gcc' to
> 'GCC = mpicc', 'GXX = g++' to 'GXX = mpicxx', and also maybe include
> some MPI lib paths to the INCPATHs? Is this how one can convert normal
> projects into projects incorporating MPI calls?
This isn't a direct answer to your question,
but if you have an OpenGL application you can run it on a cluster using
Chromium  http://chromium.sourceforge.net

My suspicion is that 2D graphics such as GTK/QT things are probably
faster run on a single processor, with an optimising compiler,
using the on-chip MMX/SSE type register banks