[Beowulf] passwordless rsh/ssh

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jun 22 12:55:38 PDT 2005

Ok, on the local machine (the linux box), as user fred, can you

	rsh localhost uname

?   If you cannot, what are the permissions on your .rhosts file?
Should be 600.

Next, what are the contents?

Finally, we want to look at the /etc/pam.d/rsh and /etc/pam.d/rlogin.
You should have a line in there which reads

	auth       sufficient   pam_rhosts_auth.so

If you don't have this, rsh will not work w/o a password using .rhosts.

Joe

David Mathog wrote:
>>Yes.  What does /etc/hosts.deny have in it?  ALL: ALL ?
>
> It's empty (private subnet, so why not?)
>
> /etc/hosts.allow has:
>
> ALL: 192.168.1.0/24
>
>>Also, rsh runs usually from xinetd.  in /etc/xinetd.d there should be an
>>rsh, rlogin, and rexec file.  Do any of these have the word "yes" in the
>>disable field?
>
> rexec is yes, rsh and rlogin are no.  So I did the experiment: changed
> rexec to "no" as well, restarted xinetd.  Nope  the rsh -l form
> still fails.  Put rexec back the way it was.
>
> It's an odd bug, rsh works for "fred", "sally", or "root", just not
> root -> fred or sally -> fred via rsh -l, when both of those
> work going to Solaris.
>
> Anybody know where the home page for rsh-server is?  Maybe 0.17-13
> is old and the current version (not available from Mandrake updates)
> has this fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu