[Beowulf] The fan from hell

Timothy Bole tbole1 at umbc.edu
Fri Jun 10 07:30:05 PDT 2005

i have mated the Thermaltake Slim Volcano 8 to the Athlon MP 1900+ with
positive results {low temps, no noticable slow down}.

how does one go about determining the fan speed?  have you got a tool in
your bios or something?

slainte,
twb

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, David Mathog wrote:

> Today I distributed database fragments out from the main server
> to the 20 compute nodes.  This required the server to run gunzip
> pretty much continuously for a couple of hours. The net result of
> which was that CPU1's temperature rose from 55C to 60-61C.
> Normally the fan on CPU1 sits happily at 5033 RPM. However
> today it started to slow down.  In fact it slowed down below
> 3000RPM, which triggered an automatic shutdown of the server.
>
> After a bit of experimentation I've now determined that
> this wasn't a coincidence. This CPU fan really does run
> slower when the CPU gets hotter.  It takes a
> few minutes before it starts to slow down, but slow down it
> does.  Not exactly the desired response for a fan on a hot CPU!
> This is on an Athlon MP 2000+ processor and the fan is Dynatron
> model that AMD used with the boxed CPU.
>
> Any of the system vendors (or anybody else) out there have a
> preferred brand of 60mm fan that doesn't slow down at 60C?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

Timothy W. Bole a.k.a valencequark
Graduate Student
Department of Physics
Theoretical and Computational Condensed Matter
UMBC
4104551924
reply-to: valencequark at umbc.edu

http://www.beowulf.org