[Beowulf] New HPCC results and the Myri viewpoint

Timothy Bole tbole1 at umbc.edu
Wed Jul 20 21:55:05 PDT 2005

I must side with Patrick on this issue.

A GigE network works just fine for me, running embarassingly parallel
Monte Carlo simulations.  I haven't seen RGB weigh in on this, so I'll try
to make the point which I think would be his.  A Beowulf is engineered to
solve a problem, not the other way around.
I don't know how much time paralellized chess programs spend passing
messages, but I can tell you that it seems to be a small market in the
grand scheme of Beowulfery.  Most clusters that I have seen are devoted to
large scale simulations or numerical analysis.  For these types of uses,
it seems a good bet that most time is spent on computation, not message
passing.

just my US$0.02

-tim

Timothy W. Bole a.k.a valencequark