[Beowulf] Performance issue - CPU Intel 00/02

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Wed Jul 20 10:47:34 PDT 2005

From: John Hearns on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:28 AM
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 08:40 -0700, David Mathog wrote:
> > It seems likely that the Tyan board may be doing something
> > similar.  Try getting into the BIOS on one of these and see what
> > it's done to the clock speed.  Unfortunately for the Asus boards
> > the only way to fix this is in the BIOS using the keyboard.  That
> > would be rather painful if you had 300 nodes to deal with.  You
> > might want to see if there is a switch in the Tyan BIOS to disable
> > this feature.
> I agree with what Dave says.
>
> If you have lots of sick machines, you could try making BIOS
> settings using the nvram module
>
> On a good node: modprobe nvram; cat /dev/nvram >  biosfile
>
> On a bad one: modprobe nvram; cat biosfile > /dev/nvram
>
> YMMV. The management accept no liability for lost bits.
> Seriously, give it a try on one node.

Before you do this, you may want to check BIOS levels on a good v. bad
system and try a BIOS reset on the bad machine.  Even a batch of systems
delivered at the same time can have different BIOS levels.  I've also
seen a BIOS reset cure these odd problems if they were all already at
the same version.

The final bit, which is more in the voodoo camp, is the battery...

If the BIOS versions differ, would copying the nvram from one system to
another be an issue?

--
dnl

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation.