[Beowulf] [gorelsky at stanford.edu: CCL:dual-core Opteron 275performance]

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Wed Jul 13 09:31:48 PDT 2005

In message from Alan Louis Scheinine <scheinin at crs4.it> (Tue, 12 Jul
2005 12:24:27 +0200):
>  1) Gerry Creager wrote "Hoowa!"
>     Since the results seem useful, I would like to add the
>following.
>     On dual-CPU boards with Athlon32 CPUs, the program "bolam" was
>slow if
>     both CPUs on the board were used, it was better to have one
>MPICH process
>     per compute node.  This problem did not appear in another
>cluster that had
>     Opteron dual-CPU boards (single-core), that is, two processes
>for each node
>     did not cause a slowdown.  This is an indication that "bolam" is
>at a
>     threshold for memory access being a bottleneck.
The original post by S.Gorelsky (re-sent by E.Leitl) was about good
scalability of 4cores/dual-CPUs Opteron 275 server on Gaussian 03
DFT/test397 test. I'm testing just now like Supermicro server
w/2*Opteron 275 but w/DDR333 instead of DDR400 used by S.Gorelsky.
I used SuSE 9.0 w/2.4.21 kernel.

I understood, that original results of S.Gorelsky were obtained,
probably,
for shared memory parallelization ! If I use G03 w/Linda (which
is main parallelization tool for G03 - parallelization in shared
memory model of G03 is available only for more restricted subset
of quantum-chemical methods) - then the results are much more bad.

On 4 cores I obtained speedup only 2.95 for Linda vs 3.6 for
shared memory. The difference is, as I understand, simple because
of data exchanges through RAM for the case of Linda; in shared memory
model like memory traffic is absent.
FYI: speedup by S.Gorelsky for 4 CPUs is 3.4 (hope that I calculated
properly :-)).

I also obtained similar results for other quantum-chemical methods
which show that using of Linda/G03 may give bad scalability for
dual-core Opteron.

We also have some (developing by us) quantum-chemical application
which
is bandwidth-limited under parallelization, and using of 1 CPU (1 MPI
process) per dual Xeon nodes for Myrinet/MPICH is strongly preferred.
In the case of (dual single core CPUs)-Opteron nodes the situation is
better.

But now for 4cores/2CPUs per Opteron node to force the using of
only 2 cores (from 4), by 1 for each chip, we'll need to have
cpu affinity support in Linux.

Yours
Mikhail