[Beowulf] cheap 48 port gigabit ethernet switch w/ jumbo frames?

Tom Rockwell rockwell at pa.msu.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:22:57 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for a switch that will be used for NFS traffic on a cluster
of about 40 nodes.  The nodes will have Broadcom 5704 ethernet.  From
what I've read, jumbo frames is important for getting the best NFS
performance over gigabit ethernet.

D-link and Netgear have newer 48 port switches priced below managed
switches.  The D-link is model DGS-1248T
http://dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=367 and the Netgear is model GS748T
http://netgear.com/products/details/GS748T.php.  Each are about $1200 or
so.  I'm unable to find info on their websites specifying whether these
switches support jumbo frames.  Anyone know?

Thanks,
Tom Rockwell
Michigan State University